Langsung ke konten utama

My headboard tutorial : How to Make a DIY Tufted Headboard from Thrifty Decor Chick

I want to share how we built our headboard.

West Elm Stria Headboard Hack

I tried downloading Sketch up but apparently you need to learn how to use it before you start doodling on it like I did, bad idea, I'm going to need to take a course some day.  So here is the unfancyest tutorial ever.

Shopping List
2- 2" x 3" @ 8'
4- 2" x 4" @ 8'
7- 1" x 3" @ 8'
2- 2" x 2" @ 8'
3- 1" x 2" @ 8'
2 1/2" screws (we countersunk the screws otherwise you could just use a Kreg jig and buy pocket whole screws).
1" screws (for middle support on back of the headboard)

Cutting List
2- 2" x 3" @ 59"  Top and Bottom of the Frame for the slats
2- 2" x 3" @ 36-3/4"  sides of the frame *(left over from the two first cuts)
1- 1" x 3" @ 33-3/4"  middle support *(use leftover 1" x  3" from front slats)
3- 1" x 2" @ 62" Front slats
2- 2" x 2" @ 62" Front slats
7- 1" x 3" @ 62" Front slats
4- 2" x 4" @ 62" Front slats
2- 2" x 4" @ 23" Legs

You should have a total of 16 slats all together

This is what we did.  I sanded every single board prior to putting it together to make it easier because you will have lots of height variation.  I used 60 grit, followed by 220 grit to give it a very smooth finish.

First step is to build your frame with the 2" x 3" studs.  Predrill your wholes for the screws and countersink them from the out side and use wood filler.


Next we started screwing in the slats from top to bottom.  The first slat (1" x 2") is flushed even with the frame.  We attached all the slats by screwing them in from the back of the frame countersinking in the screws as we went along so that we didn't leave any scratches on the walls.  I would advise you  to put your middle support on first I don't know why we skipped this step and did it later.



 

We also ended up turning the headboard upside down because the first slat gave it a sturdy base to work on.

 This is what I mean by we screwed the slats in from the back of the frame countersinking the wholes as we went along. 

West Elm Stria Headboard Hack

And that's it, because we attached the legs after we stained the headboard.  I forgot to throw pics of that part. Sorry, I'm new at this. As for the stain we used one coat of natural oxidizing stain.  The stain gives it a weathered look.  But because my stain was mixed weeks prior to making the headboard it had already created rust from the steel wool which resulted in some reddish tones around the headboard which I personally didn't like.  I wiped the headboard down with a couple of damp cloths to remove most of the rust but I still don't like the color.

West Elm Stria Headboard Hack

You can see some of the color variations here.

West Elm Stria Headboard Hack

Cost of making this headboard
$32.83  Lumber
$8.47 pack of 2-1/2" screws
Grand total of $41.30 plus tax @ $2.48 equals a whopping  $43.78
Everything else we already owned.  Our inspiration bed cost $899 plus tax, delivery, shipping and handling puts it over $1,000 ouch.

This is what I would do differently if I were to make this headboard again.  First I would add to the frame the length of the legs at the very beginning.  I would also replace the top 2x3 frame piece and the first 1x2 slat with a simple 1x4 to keep the look more clean even though you really can't see it from where your standing.  I would not make my stain weeks before to prevent all the reddish tones on my headboard from the rust of the steel wool.

Over all the bed was easy to make, super inexpensive, and imperfections and all we love it.  There you have it my not so fancy tutorial.  I hope you can understand it well enough to be able to make your own headboard.

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Lining Shelves With Contact Paper

It all started when I wanted to drink a cup of tea!  Now what does drinking a cup of tea and lining shelves with contact paper have to do with each other, you ask!  Well the cabinet was overstuffed and when I reached out for the tea box, it and other miscellaneous stuff fell out of the cabinet.  I thought to myself, while the water for my tea simmers I can quickly empty out the cabinet and reorganize it, it's just a small cabinet it wont take more than 5 minutes, right?  Wrong, wrong, wrong! I emptied it out and the contact paper that was put there by one of the previous owners was hanging in the front and I decided it was time to pull it off!  Well, once I pulled it off I remembered why it was still there in the first place.  When we first moved in, I went to remove the contact paper from one of the other cabinets and there was another paper underneath it that was torn around the edges and I tried to remove it but that thing was super glued.  I decided it was a job f

Best Home office Simple Design Ideas Near Me

Our new house has a spare room that we use daily to enter the house and where we greet all of our visitors since it is our main entrance.  It quickly became a catch all room where we would just dump everything we didn't want to deal with at the moment.  That was a really big problem and it was stressing me out.  I wanted to turn it in to a home office space and create a  functional entryway.  I wanted it to be beautiful and reflect our style and I needed to spend as little as possible. After pic my desk area Planning my desk area I knew what I wanted to do, I was just so overwhelmed that I didn't know where to start.  So I made a list (I always make a list) and got to work. To make the entryway functional we needed to add hooks for jackets, handbags, etc, etc... and a bench to take off our shoes.  We already had a few pieces we planned to reuse in this space.  In our previous home we had purchased a shoe cabinet from Ikea that has served us well and was in perfe

Buy or Sell Dining Table & Sets in Canada Promo 2019

Today I would like to invite you into our dining room. It is a small room right off of our kitchen and with a wide doorway into our living room.  It is not a big formal dining room but we are more casual people so this space is perfect for us.  In our old place we had just an eat in kitchen that worked well for just the four of us, even when we had parties and family gatherings.  When we were searching for our house we wanted a separate dining space but nothing too enclosed and far from the kitchen so I love that this room fells open to the kitchen and living room. We can have gatherings and people can spread out without feeling left out.  The dimensions of this space is 9' 4" by 11' 4".  So it's not terribly small, it's actually quite comfortable and more than enough space for our family. So far we refinished the floors in here by ourselves in Minwax Jacobean and painted the walls a nice light grey. The color is Behr's "Irish Mist" matched