Langsung ke konten utama

Lightening Up The Kitchen


When we bought our new house we inherited a  fugly kitchen.  From day one I started thinking of some inexpensive, quick fixes we could do to make it more our style until we could afford a major remodel.

Black white tuxedo kitchen painted faux brick

The kitchen walls were painted a dark blue, and the cabinets are white on top and black on the bottom.  They are painted in flat finish and they were not primed, you know what that means, right?  When you try to clean them the paint comes off and all the dirt, oil and wine splatters are absorbed into the flat finish, leaving dingy splotches everywhere.  Even the ceiling is painted in flat white and it has wine splatters on it.  I know what you are thinking, how on earth does one get wine up on the ceiling?  It's irrelevant!

white black tuxedo kitchen painted faux brick
Before
 The appliances were beige and the fridge had "faux" wooden door handle. The kitchen also came with a "fabulous" faux brick back splash and an even more "fabulous" faux butcher block counter top, It's "fauxbulicious"!  I can go on and on about the negatives but let's just focus on the things that have improved since we've moved in.

Before

The first thing we tackled was to paint the walls in Behr's Irish Mist.  I had the paint matched to Glidden's premium paint and primer to save money and I used semi gloss finish to make it easy to wipe clean.  Then we replaced the appliances with our own stainless steel appliances.  We haven't changed the dishwasher yet because I have never used a dishwasher in my life, so I have no idea if I even want a new one or just add storage in it's place.

white black tuxedo kitchen painted faux brick


 We also switched out the overhead light fixture for this Allen + Roth ORB flushmount from Lowes.  It looks ten times better than the small, white, boob light that was there before.

Allen Roth Oil rubbed bronze flush mount light fixture lowes

Next up, I changed the white vinyl mini blinds for a nice, textured, woven shade from Home depot.  It looks like they don't carry the same ones anymore the closet match I could find was this one, Radiance Cocoa Havana bamboo roman shade.

white black tuxedo kitchen
With white vinyl mini blind

marbled hanging pendant woven shades
The nice, woven, textured shades

Lastly I painted the faux brick in the same paint as the walls.  Now the kitchen feels lighter and brighter and I don't hate the brick as much as I used to.

Black white tuxedo kitchen painted faux brick

Black white tuxedo kitchen painted faux brick

Below are some of the other things we would like to do to the kitchen in this for now phase

  • Prime and paint the trim and ceiling semi gloss white.
  • Sand and repaint the cabinets, the paint job was done very poorly.
  • Change out the hardware on the cabinets.
  • Replace the hanging light fixture over the sink with something more our style.
  • Do something about the wasted space over the refrigerator.

There are a lot of other little improvements we are letting simmer before we make any decisions because we don't want to spend a lot of money on temporary fixes.  The short list above will help us get by until we save up for a major overhaul.  Sometimes taking your time before doing any extreme changes is better in the end.  This way we can get a feel for how we use the space, what works, what doesn't and what can use some improvements.  The kitchen already feels so much better with just the simple, quick fixes we've done so far.

Linking up to

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Lining Shelves With Contact Paper

It all started when I wanted to drink a cup of tea!  Now what does drinking a cup of tea and lining shelves with contact paper have to do with each other, you ask!  Well the cabinet was overstuffed and when I reached out for the tea box, it and other miscellaneous stuff fell out of the cabinet.  I thought to myself, while the water for my tea simmers I can quickly empty out the cabinet and reorganize it, it's just a small cabinet it wont take more than 5 minutes, right?  Wrong, wrong, wrong! I emptied it out and the contact paper that was put there by one of the previous owners was hanging in the front and I decided it was time to pull it off!  Well, once I pulled it off I remembered why it was still there in the first place.  When we first moved in, I went to remove the contact paper from one of the other cabinets and there was another paper underneath it that was torn around the edges and I tried to remove it but that thing was super glued.  I decided it was a job f

Kitchen Cabinet Makeover Reveal

Finally, I'm going to share the kitchen cabinet makeover reveal!  It took us a lot longer than we expected to get this done. But we are finally putting the paint brushes and the rollers down.  At least until we recoup from all the unplanned painting we did these past few weeks.  We didn't have a plan for this or a budget because it wasn't in the cards to do this project just yet.  I don't know if you recall from this  post but this all started because I wanted a cup of tea .  First I just wanted to do a quick reorganization, then I started  pulling off contact paper , next thing you know I'm removing doors and  stripping paint off the kitchen cabinets .  We didn't think things through we just went with it.  Before we had clumpy, flat painted ugly cabinets.  I'm not exaggerating, you can see for yourself here .  Whenever we would clean a them the paint would come off because they were not primed.  They were painted with a flat, cheap paint that would absorb s

Best Home office Simple Design Ideas Near Me

Our new house has a spare room that we use daily to enter the house and where we greet all of our visitors since it is our main entrance.  It quickly became a catch all room where we would just dump everything we didn't want to deal with at the moment.  That was a really big problem and it was stressing me out.  I wanted to turn it in to a home office space and create a  functional entryway.  I wanted it to be beautiful and reflect our style and I needed to spend as little as possible. After pic my desk area Planning my desk area I knew what I wanted to do, I was just so overwhelmed that I didn't know where to start.  So I made a list (I always make a list) and got to work. To make the entryway functional we needed to add hooks for jackets, handbags, etc, etc... and a bench to take off our shoes.  We already had a few pieces we planned to reuse in this space.  In our previous home we had purchased a shoe cabinet from Ikea that has served us well and was in perfe